Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

The Wife: Well it's been a long time since we've done a post strictly dedicated to a movie review. Although we saw this movie in 2011, it will serve as our first review of 2012! So what do I have to say about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? Well, it was pretty freaking good. The acting was top notch, and while it was longer than your standard film, the pacing was quite well.

I received The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book for Christmas, but unfortunately due to the lack of a Christmas break that us adults in the real world have to contend with, I only had the chance to read the prologue and the first chapter. So, other than some random introductions and knowledge of basic plot points, I entered the theatre not really knowing what to expect. I ended up really enjoying the movie and found myself on the edge of my seat throughout the majority of it. I thoroughly enjoyed coming up with my own plot theories to try and solve the mystery just as the main characters did. More importantly, I must say I completely called all of the shocks with my three separate theories, because you see, I am pretty awesome at figuring out movie and book twists! Of course, I thought only one of my theories would be correct, but all three of them ended up working out! I would discuss the plot in detail more thoroughly, but I don't want to spoil the movie for those of you who have yet to see it.

As I mentioned, the acting was excellent in this movie. Aside from providing some great eye candy, Daniel Craig was excellent. However, the real credit goes to Rooney Mara, who played Lisbeth. I think her performance is Oscar-worthy! I also have to note that she is the granddaughter of Art Rooney Sr., the founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers! So here's a shout out to all of Steeler Nation! Here we go Steelers, here we go!

Overall I really enjoyed The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. There are some VERY graphic scenes that are quite violent and disturbing, so if this is something that makes or breaks a movie for you, then I suggest you skip seeing this film. However, if you can get past the graphic nature and focus on the story at hand, then I highly recommend this movie! I still plan to finish the book as movies always tend to leave out details. I certainly plan to read the other two books in the series as well!


Hobo Dan: I so enjoy going to see movies I know nothing about. This rarely happens these day, partly because I research upcoming films for this blog and partly because there isn't really that much "new" stuff coming from Hollywood these days. I am well aware this is based off a book and was already made into film in Sweden. But I don't speak Swedish and haven't read the book, so this is new to me. The feel of the film from plot to story is very different which may throw people off. It being European probably has something to do with this. That said, I loved The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I would have surely put it in my top five films of 2011 if we had seen it in time!

The Wife mentioned the superb acting in the film. I won't be surprised if it earns several Oscar nods. The cinematography is also excellent. Many shots in the film add greatly to the suspense and tension and reminded me at time of The Shining when the kid is riding his tricycle around the creepy hotel. Win. I'm sad that the movie is doing poorly at the box office. It doesn't surprise me, just saddens. People these days aren't looking for the thoughtful, dark experience this film provides. The ending in particular probably leaves a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths. I loved it. It was right up my ally. So, do what you can for society and see this movie. It is very important that films like this continue to be made. It's this or more Harold and Kumar movies...

Also, I apologize for the Wife and her sports team. Go Browns.

1 comment:

  1. My comment on leaving theater was "i told you it would be dark and twisted...."

    @the wife- I'd love to hear how you like the books and your plot twists! Some twists in the movie differ greatly from the book. Let's discuss!

    - Jessie

    ReplyDelete