Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Glee: The 3D Concert Movie

The Wife has decided to share her thoughts on the new Glee movie. I didn't see this!

Glee: The 3D Concert Movie

Well this review will be interesting. I am sure a lot of this blog's target audience are "anti-gleek." Oh well! Sad for you, really. The husband asked me to review Glee: The 3D Concert Movie, which I saw over the weekend. (He also probably asked because we once again delayed watching Crash for our Best Picture Project...oops).

Ok so if you don't already know it, I am a HUGE Glee fan! While I am one of those many "The first season was so much better" fans, I still watch and enjoy the show. I love the witty banter, comedic elements and almost all of the characters. Not to mention the show provides some great eye candy. Of course, the music is one of my favorite parts of Glee! Almost every song I've purchased off iTunes over the past year has been from Glee, much to my husband's chagrin. I also own the complete first season. I will own the complete second season probably after Christmas. Speaking of Christmas, last year I got the Glee Christmas Album and it was pretty much all I listened to over the holidays (again much to my husband's dismay). So I am "that fan," yes, the one responsible for keeping the cash cow of Glee alive. Who cares though? I love the show and it makes me happy and helps to relieve stress. Some have their video games or other hobbies, I have Glee!

As for Glee: The 3D Concert Movie, I was super pumped when I found out about it. We saw a preview for the film prior to seeing one of our summer movies and the husband looked at me and said "You can take your friend to see this, right?" So my bestie, who is a huge Glee fan like myself, and I made plans to leave our guys at home and go. Needless to say we had an absolute blast! We both badly wanted to see Glee in concert this summer, but the tickets were way too expensive. The 3D movie was the next best thing! We sang and cheered during the film as if we were really at a concert...it was great! We probably had a better view than if we had actually gone to the real concert.

I know many reviews of the movie have been very negative and that the Glee3D movie hasn't done well at the box office. I can see why numbers are down. Most concert movies generally make money from kids and their parents. Glee is not a children's show, so there goes that money machine. As for content, I tend to disagree with the critics. What do people expect? The movie isn't meant to be plot-driven. IT IS A CONCERT! I feel like it's the cool thing to just hate on everything once something gets popular now days. People need to learn to relax and just enjoy something for what it is! Ok off of my soapbox, back to the review! I got chills when they performed their opening number to their trademark "Don't Stop Believin'" song. I also, of course, loved Puck's solo as well as Finn's solo. Any Rachel song was amazing (Lea Michele is just awesome, period). Kurt, as usual, didn't disappoint. The group numbers were great too. I especially LOVED The Warblers performance and the adorable "mini warbler!" ATTENTION: CUTENESS ALERT. There were some great surprises too (SPOILER AHEAD!) like when Gwyneth Paltrow (Holly Holiday) showed up to sing "Forget You." My bestie and I literally screamed out of joy. We are super cool people!

I suppose I should mention the use of 3D too. I know I have bashed 3D, but this is the first movie that I've ever seen in 3D where I actually noticed the effects. The 3D did add to the overall experience, but I would have been just as happy seeing Glee in good ole' 2D.

My complaints are very short. For one, it was too short! Then again, I could have watched for like six hours to hear them perform every song I like. I feel like the whole "Glee changed my life" scenes from real people that were dispersed throughout the movie were unnecessary. I would have preferred to see more onstage/backstage banter and more singing in its place. There also wasn't enough Tina or Quinn. In addition, an appearance by Mr. Shue and obviously SUE SYLVESTER would have been nice! From my understanding, Sue did have scenes in the film that were cut. Hopefully they will be on the Blu-ray version.

As a whole though, I was very pleased with Glee: The 3D Concert Movie. If you love Glee and like me, couldn't afford to see the actual concert, I would recommend this. Don't go in expecting a real movie with a plot. View it as a concert, which it obviously is. Also, if you can, try to see it as a matinee. I believe I paid $8.70 or something, but would have been charged around $11 if I saw an evening show. I think the movie isn't in theatres much longer, however, but I am sure it will come out on Blu-ray/DVD. All in all I am now very excited for Glee Season 3!

Before I end, I should mention that the husband does watch Glee on occasion with me. I even catch him laughing sometimes...so don't let him fool you. I think he likes it a little bit ;)! I will leave you with this! Look for him in Glee: The 3D Concert Movie:


2 comments:

  1. Whenever I purchase the Blu-ray I am sure you will watch some of it! You like Glee more than you care to admit, too!

    ReplyDelete