Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Guest Blog #1

See, I told you someone else out there wanted to get a piece of this hot blog action. Here is the first of hopefully many guest blogs. If you still want to write one feel free to submit them to: dumptheblog@gmail.com. Enjoy!

The Sky Really Isn't Falling......I Don't Think

I love end of the world prophecies. Talk about blog fodder. How many of these have we endured in my 54 years? A bunch. Remember Y2K? We made it past that one. My mom still has a stack of cut wood for her fireplace for when the electricity went off. Oh yeah, it didn't. Then Jim Jones convinced a bunch of fellow fruitcakes that all was lost. It was....for them. With the rash of recent earthquakes and tsunamis (had anyone other than oceanographers heard of that word until a few years ago?), I am sure that there will also be a rash of end of days predictions. Unfortunately, these people didn't pay very close attention during science class when geology was being discussed or they might have a better idea of how insignificant these events are from a geologic time perspective.

It kills me when preachers, pastors, padres, and other erstwhile holy men propagate this kind of crap. Yes, I am a believer and I know the bible talks about the end days, but it makes no real reference as to when that will be. And people like the aforementioned should know better. They don't do much to lend credibility to Christian beliefs either.

Now it appears that December 21 or so of 2012 is the big day. I am so glad that they have pinpointed the exact time. I can take the day off work - heck, I can quit work - and sit outside in my lawn chair to watch the events unfold before my very eyes. Unfortunately, it will be cold outside, or I would throw some tube steaks on the grill and whip up some frozen concoctions to aid me in my observations. Then again maybe it will be warm, what with global warming and all.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if this is the end or not. I have made peace with the man upstairs, and I believe I'm safe from any sort of end time shenanigans. But I really don't think that some calendar created by an ancient civilizations has a handle on when the lights go out for our fair planet. I could be wrong. I have been many times before, so don't take my word as gospel. But when people like Mel Gibson, Shirley McClain, Canibus, Jeneane Garafolo, and Montel Williams believe the 2012 prophecies, the smart money says that you probably ought not max out your credits cards.

"Those who know don't tell, those who tell don't know."
-Bill Huber, retired minister, silicon valley chemist, and one of the smartest people I ever met.

Submitted by: ratherbebikin

No comments:

Post a Comment